Embark on a festive adventure straight from the North Pole with this Elf Pancake Spaghetti. The perfect Christmas breakfast or playful dessert recipe that captures the essence of holiday joy.
Transform your ordinary pancakes into fun squiggles and let your imagination run wild with colorful toppings. With a few m&ms, maple syrup, and some elf magic, you'll have tons of christmas cheer ready to be devoured on the table.
This spaghetti pancake recipe is a breakfast that you'll never forget. Inspired by the classic Christmas movie, Elf, this pancake creation will have the whole family in the Christmas spirit. Especially when served with our Starbucks white hot chocolate or these green Christmas drinks.
While I love serving pancakes on Christmas morning, I had to make pancake spaghetti for my little guy's birthday since he was born on Christmas eve. The process of making them brings the beloved character of Buddy the Elf alive in your kitchen.
From the charming pancake cereal to this elf pancakes recipe, it seems like there is a new viral breakfast trend every day. But hey, there's no reason to complain about having the perfect excuse to whip up these imaginative breakfast foods.
Why you'll love this recipe
- This recipe is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a holiday dessert that adds a touch of festive charm to any special occasion.
- They're a fun twist on traditional pancakes.
- You can get creative with toppings (I love crushed white chocolate Christmas crack, frosted ginger cookies or our Christmas popcorn), involving everyone in the family for a fun and festive bonding opportunity.
- The vibrant colors and unique display make it a social media worthy recipe.
- You get to channel the fun energy of buddy the elf with these elf inspired pancakes.
Can I make pancakes in advance?
Yes you can make these pancakes in advance and reheat when you're ready to serve. This is a great way to save some time in the kitchen if you're hosting a big party.
Simply make the pancakes, store in an airtight container, and reheat in the microwave when you're ready. Add toppings just before serving. You can even serve them with our Christmas Oreo truffles.
What you'll need to make spaghetti pancakes
- Pancake batter - You can use any pancake batter or pancake recipe you'd like. See more details below.
- Toppings - The toppings on these pancakes are almost endless and up to personal preference. I like to use skittles, M&Ms, chocolate syrup, maple syrup, and sometimes pop tarts.
What pancake batter works best?
I like to make a batch of gluten-free pancake batter but you can use premade pancake mix, chocolate pancake batter, buttermilk pancake batter, regular pancakes, etc.
Even though these gingerbread pancakes taste amazing by themselves, plain pancakes work best for this recipe since there are so many toppings.
Can I use different candies for toppings?
Yes you can use whatever toppings you'd like. If you're a chocolate lover, feel free to add chocolate chips, chocolate marshmallows, hot fudge, etc. Seasonal candies like crushed candy canes or festive sprinkles make a great addition if you're not a chocolate fan.
If you'd like something less intense, feel free to top with your favorite fruit, confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, or even jam. If you'd like to go the savory route, top with melted butter!
How to make pancake spaghetti (Elf style)
Step 1: The batter
Prepare your pancake batter and add it to a squeeze bottle or piping bag for easy piping.
Step 2: The squiggles
On a greased or large nonstick skillet, make 5 inch long squiggles or string shapes. These should be thicker than actual spaghetti noodles.
Step 3: Cook
Cook for one minute on each side or until done. Like usual pancakes, cook time may vary depending on your pancake batter.
Step 4: Top
Add your pancake strands to a plate or bowl and top with whatever sugary toppings you'd like.
Pro tip: Maintain a low heat or medium heat to ensure that the pancake strips cook evenly and don't burn.
Can I make the pancake batter from scratch?
Yes, you can make simple pancake batter from scratch or use boxed pancake mix. The choice is up to you.
For either option, make sure that your batter is on the thicker side so that the squiggles can hold their shape while cooking.
I do not recommend storing pancakes with the toppings as they will soggy quickly but you can store the squiggle cakes without toppings.
Let the pancakes cool to room temperature, place in an airtight container or ziploc bag, and store in the fridge up to 24 hours. Reheat in the microwave and add your favorite toppings.
More recipes you'll love
- This hot cocoa bar is fun and perfect for parties.
- For more christmas fun, try this Christmas reindeer chex mix recipe.
- A Christmas charcuterie board is a WOW appetizer.
- Wash these pancakes down with our festive cranberry mocktail.
We did this for my little guy's birthday who was born on Christmas Eve. It makes a great holiday birthday tradition!
Pancake Spaghetti (Elf Style)
- 15 ounces prepared pancake batter
- 1 cup M&M's
- 1 cup Skittles
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 Poptarts
- 4 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- Optional: any other toppings you want (candy canes, chocolate chips, syrup etc.)
- Add your prepared batter to a pancake bottle
- On a greased, hot skillet use the pancake bottle to make 5 inch long squiggly string shapes on the pan (or just lines are fine too)
- Cook for about 1 minute then flip and cook 1 more minute
- Add prepared pancake spaghetti to a plate and go Elf crazy with toppings and enjoy!